* Tired of Re-writing Already: Bob Enyart tells his Real Science Radio co-host Fred Williams that he's just too tired of the constant "rewriting human history" discoveries, hitting almost monthly, one after another that falsify the secular canonical story. So find those of just the last year listed at rsr.org/squeeze (and just below).
* Program Note: This week (including today, Friday, when we'd normally air an RSR show) has been a special Theology Thursday broadcast series while Bob spends time with his mom Connie after her husband Al has gone to be with the Lord. The series Eternal Life and Heaven comes from within a major series presented by Bob Enyart, What We Believe and Why We Believe It, available on Blu-ray, DVD, and Download.
* Billy Graham and Pops: Both men passed away within a week of each other. Pops (Al Sharin) knew all along that Billy Graham was wrong to advocate the killing of handicapped children. Billy Graham did not. Now he knows. However, Jesus will wipe away his tears.
Please check out our 2018 Kickstarter project that raised $34,000: Launch a flat-earther into space!)
For the first time, as far as publicly known, scientists have cloned primates. Bob Enyart speaks with the Discovery Institute's Ann Gauger about the science of cloning and the immorality of even attempting to clone a human being. Dr. Gauger, Senior Fellow at the DI's Center for Science and Culture, earned her biology degree at MIT, her Ph.D. in developmental biology from the University of Washington, has done cloning work as a post-doctoral fellow at Harvard, and has had her research published by the journals Nature, Development, and Biological Chemistry. Click for Ann's recent writings and her collaboration on Theistic Evolution: A Scientific, Philosophical, and Theological Critique.
* Other RSR Discovery Institute Interviews: Check out Ann Gauger on Darwinism's Six Enzyme Problems and to hear our other fun and informative interviews with Discovery Institute scientists and scholars, just click on over to rsr.org/di.
* The Richard Dawkins 3-to-1 Evolution Challenge: Research for a debate on the Bible led Bob Enyart and his associate Will Duffy to Oxford University. While there, thinking about the popularity of RSR's graphical evolution challenges, such as the Evolution Vision Challenge and about the success of our PZ Myers Trochlea Challenge (click for that evolutionist's reply), the guys decided to hand deliver to the Oxford office of professor emeritus Richard Dawkins a printed copy of RSR's Dawkins 3-to-1 Challenge. (Dawkins still lectures there for a course titled, Science Literacy: Evolution for Non-Scientists.) Intelligent Design arguments based on complexity, like the flagellum argument offered by Michael Behe, are powerful yet that very complexity provides opportunities for opponents to obfuscate. (For example, if a cellular component is assembled from twenty parts, an evolutionist can make somewhat irrelevant comments about two or three of those parts, and get millions of evolutionists to claim that he has refuted that design challenge.) Thus Real Science Radio has been testing arguments based on the simpler, rather than the more complex, aspects of organisms. It appears that these inherently simpler arguments may more effectively demonstrate the inability of the materialist worldview to explain biology. (Our Myers Trochlea Challenge is just such an argument, focusing on one of the simplest parts of the human vision system.) So the graphic that we delivered to New College asserts that neither Richard Dawkins, nor any materialist, will ever be able to answer this simple Dawkins 3-to-1 Evolution Challenge:
* RSR re-airs interview with college president: Bob Enyart of Real Science Radio interviews Don Landis on his book The Genius of Ancient Man which contrasts the evolutionary paradigm of grunting cavemen with the actual widespread historical, anthropological, and archaeological evidence of a brilliant and sophisticated ancient human civilization.
For today's show RSR recommends:
Patterns of Evidence: The Exodus
* The Argument is Genius: Don Landis, president of Jackson Hole Bible College and chairman of the board for Answers in Genesis, celebrates with his new book the brilliance and astute astronomical insights of ancient civilizations. "All over the world there are similar findings of world travel, advanced astronomy… ancient man had the advanced knowledge of astronomical movements, including the process of precession …found everywhere," Landis writes. For example, Roman sailors used an Antikythera mechanism with dozens of gears to track the Sun, Moon and planets.
Real Science Radio hosts Bob Enyart and Fred Williams update their "Brain Dead Means Not Dead" list with yet another example, this one from 2018 showing that sometimes, "dead dead doesn't even mean dead." Then they share Danika Worthington's piece at the Denver Post quoting Bob Enyart about Colorado Right To Life renaming their annual "March for Life" to the "March for Abolition". If you're in Denver please join us 10 a.m. tomorrow morning Jan.
Real Science Radio host Bob Enyart reports that the latest UFO sightings statistics are in line with rsr.org/predictions#UFOs and with rsr.org/no-ETs. Additionally, the Bible's statistics on possession and exorcism mitigate against UFOs being demonic activity. Bob then welcomes a new listener from New York City and celebrates articles in the latest issue of Creation magazine including on the peacock's tail, an Austrian theoretical biologist as at rsr.org/doubt#gerd, and barley plant DNA. And if you're anywhere near Denver, we encourage you to attend tonight's Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship meeting at 7 p.m. at Denver Bible Church, 4085 Independence Court, Wheat Ridge, 80033.
BEL is selling a car. Check it out at kgov.com/obo.
* Another Fun RSR List Show: In our List of the Fine-Tuned Features of the Universe, Real Science Radio host Bob Enyart quotes leading scientists and their astounding admission of the uncanny and seemingly never-ending list of the just-perfect finely tuned parameters of the physical features of the Earth, the solar system, and the entire cosmos. This program is brought to you by God, maker of heaven and earth and other fine products!
* The Finely Tuned Parameters of the Universe: Barrow & Tipler, in their standard treatment, The Anthropic Cosmological Principle, admit that "there exist a number of unlikely coincidences between numbers of enormous magnitude that are, superficially, completely independent; moreover, these coincidences appear essential to the existence of carbon-based observers in the Universe." Examples include the wildly unlikely combination of:
- there is the same number of electrons as protons to a standard deviation of one in ten to the thirty-seventh power, that is, 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (37 zeros)
- the 1-to-1 electron to proton ratio throughout the universe yields our electrically neutral universe
- all fundamental particles of the same kind are identical (including protons, electrons, down quarks, etc., even, in QED, photons!)
- energy exactly equals mass (times the conversion factor of c²)
- the electron and the massively greater proton have exactly equivalent opposite charges
- the electron to proton mass ratio (1 to 1,836) is perfect for forming molecules
- the baryon (protons, neutrons, etc.) that decays must conserve the number of baryons
- the free neutron decays in minutes whereas it is stable within the nuclei of all the non-radioactive elements (otherwise eventually only hydrogen would exist because the strong nuclear force needs neutrons to overcome proton repulsion)
- the proton can't decay because it is the lightest baryon (otherwise all elements would be unstable)
- the electromagnetic and gravitational forces are finely tuned for the stability of stars
- the gravitational and inertial mass equivalency
- the electromagnetic force constant is perfect for holding electrons to nuclei
- the electromagnetic force is in the right ratio to the nuclear force
- the strong force if changed by 1% would destroy all carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and heavier elements
- all electrons in the universe are identical as are all instances of each fundamental particle
- etc., etc., etc. (including the shocking apparent alignment of the universe with the orbit of the Earth)
Omitting the Cosmological Constant: We have omitted from this list the commonly reported fine-tuning of the cosmological constant to one part in 10 to the 120th. This is so very precise that if the entire universe had as much additional mass as exists in a single grain of sand, it would all collapse upon itself. That is, if a big bang actually formed our universe, and if it created a miniscule additional amount of mass than it is claimed to have created, then no planets, stars, or galaxies could exist. Conversely, if the universe had less mass, by that same quantity, matter never would have coalesced to become planets, stars, and galaxies, and again, we would not exist. So, why doesn't Real Science Radio include this astoundingly fine-tuned parameter in our list? Well, as physicist John Hartnett points out, the cosmological constant is only a fine-tuning problem for the big bang theory, so it is an argument only against a big bang universe, whereas in our actual universe, it is not a fine tuning issue. So, the cosmological constant does refute big bang cosmology, at least, for anyone who is objective, has common sense, and is not desperately trying to ignore the evidence for the Creator. (By the way, since NASA says that the confirmed predictions of the big bang theory are what validates it, you might want to Google: big bang predictions, and you'll find our article ranked #1 out of half-a-million, at rsr.org/bbp, presenting the actual track record of the predictions of the theory. Also, if you Google: evidence against the big bang, you'll find our article on that topic near the top of the first page of Google results!)
* The Whopping Physics Coincidence: NewScientist reports about gravity and acceleration that, "a large chunk of modern physics is precariously balanced on a whopping coincidence" for, regarding gravitational and inertial mass, "these two masses are always numerically exactly the same. The consequences of this coincidence are profound..."
* The Finely Tuned Parameters of the Solar System include:
- Our Sun is positioned far from the Milky Way's center in a galactic Goldilocks zone of low radiation
- Our Sun placed in an arm of the Milky Way puts it where we can discover a vast swath of the entire universe
- Our Sun is in the unusual Local Bubble, 300 light years of extremely diffuse gas, 1/500th of the average
- Earth's orbit is nearly circular (eccentricity ~ 0.02) around the Sun providing a stability in a range of vital factors
- Earth's orbit has a low inclination keeping its temperatures within a range permitting diverse ecosystems
- Earth's axial tilt is within a range that helps to stabilize our planet's climate
- the Moon's mass helps stabilize the Earth's tilt on its axis, which provides for the diversity of alternating seasons
- the Moon's distance from the Earth provides tides to keep life thriving in our oceans, and thus, worldwide
- the Moon's nearly circular orbit (eccentricity ~ 0.05) makes its influence extraordinarily reliable
- the Moon is 1/400th the size of the Sun, and at 1/400th its distance, enables educational perfect eclipses
- the Earth's distance from the Sun provides for great quantities of life and climate-sustaining liquid water
- the Sun's extraordinary stable output of the energy
- the Sun's mass and size are just right for Earth's biosystem
- the Sun's luminosity and temperature are just right to provide for Earth's extraordinary range of ecosystems
- the color of the Sun's light from is tuned for maximum benefit for our plant life (photosynthesis)
- the Sun's low "metallicity" prevents the destruction of life on Earth
- etc., etc., etc.
* What is the Multiverse? In June of 2016, Fred Williams passed along a question from a listener to his Real Science Radio co-host Bob Enyart. (See rsr.org/mv for more.)
Q: "What is the Multiverse?"
A: "The multiverse is a yardstick used to measure the strength of the fine-tuning argument for God."
Q: "Why do so many atheists support the multiverse?"
A: "The swift acceptance of the multiverse measures desperation."
* The Finely Tuned Earth includes:
- the Earth's surface gravity strength prevents the atmosphere from rapidly losing water to space
- the Earth's just-right ozone layer filters out ultraviolet radiation and mitigates temperature swings
- the Earth's magnetic field preserves our ozone layer and fends off solar shockwaves
- the Earth's spin rate on its axis provides for a range of day and nighttime temperatures to allow life to thrive
- the atmosphere's composition (20% oxygen, etc.) provides for life's high energy requirements
- if Earth's oxygen content were higher, forest fires would worsen
- the atmosphere's pressure enables our lungs to function and water to evaporate at an optimal rate to support life
- the atmosphere's transparency to allow an optimal range of life-giving solar radiation to reach the surface
- the atmosphere's capacity to hold water vapor provides for stable temperature and rainfall ranges
- astoundingly efficient life-giving photosynthesis produces oxygen and sugar, and animals breath oxygen and eat the plants
- the transparent atmosphere and magnetic field enable long-distance navigation of species
- organisms do not metabolize lignin (component in soil) for otherwise most all plant life would be impossible
- life's "interactions are facilitated by water in an extremely fine-tuned way" according to NASA.gov
- the water molecule's astounding robustness results from finely balanced quantum effects. As reported by New Scientist, "Water's life-giving properties exist on a knife-edge. It turns out that life as we know it relies on a fortuitous, but incredibly delicate, balance of quantum forces. ... We are used to the idea that the cosmos' physical constraints are fine-tuned for life. Now it seems water's quantum forces can be added to this 'just right' list."
- water is an unrivaled solvent; its low viscosity permits the tiniest blood vessels; its high specific heat stabilizes biosphere temperatures; its low thermal conductivity as a solid insulates frozen-over lakes and as a liquid its high conductivity lets organisms distribute heat; its an efficient lubricant; is only mildly reactive; has an anomalous (fish-saving) expansion when it freezes; its high vapor tension keeps moisture in the atmosphere; and it tastes great too!
- the phenomenally harmonious water cycle (which is one example of astounding functional complexity not explainable by evolutionary theory; another example is the astounding world of quantum physics)
- water permits the passage of the Sun's life-giving radiation to depths of 500 meters
- the carbon atom's astounding capabilities. As Cambridge astronomer Fred Hoyle wrote: "Some super-calculating intellect must have designed the properties of the carbon atom, otherwise the chance of my finding such an atom through the blind forces of nature would be utterly minuscule. A common sense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as with chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature. The numbers one calculates from the facts seem to me so overwhelming as to put this conclusion almost beyond question."
- etc., etc., etc.
Real Science Radio hosts Bob Enyart and Fred Williams re-air their classic list show for the New Years Day weekend. From opals forming in months, to man's genetic diversity in 200 generations, and with carbon 14 everywhere it's not supposed to be, scientific observations fill the guys' most traditional list challenging those who claim that the earth is millions of years old. Many of these scientific finds demand a re-evaluation of supposed billion-year ages. For the full written list, click on over to rsr.org/list.