Listener's Neighbors Murdered and Murdered: Please pray for a BEL listener going to visit in jail a husband who murdered his wife on Feb. 21, 2019. Both were Chuck's neighbors and the husband who turned himself in. Of course our listener is not going there to tell the man he is forgiven, but quite the contrary, that he should not allow defense attorneys to convince him to plead not guilty, that he should not fight the death penalty, and that even if he asks God to forgive Him to save His soul, that should have absolutely no affect on the punishment that he is due in this life (Luke 23:42), which is execution.
Won't vs. Can't: Public policy should prioritize deterrence over interference. Human beings are almost infinitely creative. Thus, a government's top priority should be making it so that people won't commit crime rather than that they can't commit crime.
List of Ways: See below our List of Ways a Christian can Reduce Crime. (And don't worry. The 25 specifics below for reducing America's crime epidemic do not say, just love everyone, don't judge, all sins are equal, and forgive everyone.)
Flashback #1: Court TV interviews Bob Enyart regarding Scott Peterson's death sentence.
Flashback #2: We purchased OJ Simpson's memorabilia at auction and then burned both his Hall of Fame Award and his Heisman '68 Jersey (which had been hanging in his Brentwood mansion) to call for the installation of a new criminal justice system in America. See KGOV.com/oj.
Flashback #3: Bill Clinton raped Juanita Broaddrick as documented at ShadowGov.com and as an editor of the Wall Street Journal wrote, that Bill Clinton's rape of Juanita Broaddrick was an event that "in fact took place." Hear also Bob's worldwide exclusive interview with Juanita Broaddrick and with nurse Norma Rogers, her friend who found Broaddrick wounded and in tears shortly after the assault.
Flashback #4: BEL aired never-before-heard Columbine recordings and we get to the real story (i.e., one murderer's Natural Selection t-shirt) behind the massacre, the search warrant application that was squashed that may have prevented the murderers, and the disgraced sheriff's refusal to let SWAT intervene.
Flashback #5: Check out Bob Enyart's phone call to Michael Jackson attorney's office on the very day that Mark Geragos threatened to sue anyone who "besmirched Jackson's reputation" and see the three pieces of information on the child molester that Bob gave to the Santa Barbara District Attorney.
Flashback #6: After our meager effort to get justice for JonBenet failed, we presented our Clue that Breaks the Case and our Concise List of Inculpatory Evidence Against the Ramseys.
Today's Resource: Have you seen the Government Department at our KGOV Store? We are featuring our classic God's Criminal Justice System seminar and our important videos God and the Death Penalty, Live from Las Vegas, and Bob on Drugs DVDs, and our powerhouse Focus on the Strategy resources!
* Justice System is Just-a-System: Our old quote that Bob Enyart repeated at our O.J. Simpson press conference was picked up by The Quote Garden along with other insights about justice from Earl Warren, Learned Hand, Fredrick Bastiat, Justinian I, Aristotle, and these nuggets...
- Robert Frost "A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer"
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. "This is a court of law, young man, not a court of justice"
- Bob Enyart "It's no longer a justice system, now it's just a system"
- J. Edgar Hoover "Justice is incidental to law and order"
- Lenny Bruce "In the Halls of Justice the only justice is in the halls"
- African Proverb "Corn can't expect justice from a court composed of chickens"
- Welsh Proverb "The houses of lawyers are roofed with the skins of litigants"
- Ambrose Bierce "Lawsuit: A machine which you go into as a pig and come out of as a sausage"
- H.L. Mencken, Edmund Burke,Henry David Thoreau, Mae West, Bertrand Russell, Marcus Aurelius
- Charles Evans Hughes "The United States is the greatest law factory the world has ever known"
- Tacitus "the more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws"
- Lao-Tzu "The greater the number of laws... the more thieves and robbers there will be"
- Frank Zappa "The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced"
- Lord Halifax "If the laws could speak for themselves, they would complain of the lawyers in the first place"
- William Shakespeare "The jury, passing on the prisoner's life, may in the sworn twelve have a thief or two guiltier"
- Will Rogers "We don't give our criminals much punishment, but we sure give 'em plenty of publicity"
- Jonathan Swift "Laws are like cobwebs, which may catch small flies, but let wasps and hornets break through"
- Edmund Burke "It is not what a lawyer tells me I may do; but what humanity, reason, and justice tell me I ought to do"
- The ACLU's evolutionist Clarence Darrow "There is no such thing as justice."
And this: "A trial by jury is justice by committee," said Bob Enyart. Further, for decades and a thousand times over, the entertainment industry, using plot twists to keep the audience interested, accustomed millions to assume that, typically, the person who appears guilty is likely innocent. Thus this observation from the fictional detective James Wong:
Don't You Hate It When: Have you noticed that the media, everyone from your local newspaper reporter to Fox News Channel to TruTV, describe brutal crimes and criminals as though they were games and contestants? They'll say things like, "The only thing the murderer did wrong was to leave behind his cigarette butt." Oh really? That's the only thing he did wrong. We get the point. But the point is worth making without turning crime into a sport. Our culture is sinking into the cesspool of situational ethics and moral relativism. Words have meaning. Ten thousand repetitions of throw-away lines that are morally bankrupt have an effect. So, KGOV says to the media: Stop It!
And finally this: Folks who want to find out what God says about capital punishment just might Google: God and the death penalty, or just, God death penalty. Either way, since the year 2000, they've been finding our article, here at KGOV and over at TheologyOnline.com, ranked by Google as #1 out of millions of pages. (We always also beat out another highly-ranked article, by Antonin Scalia, for those search terms.)
* In Memory of an Insightful Political Satirist: Ambrose Bierce, critical of American governance, wrote definitions for legal terms such as:
Accomplice, n. One associated with another in a crime, having guilty knowledge and complicity, such as an attorney who defends a criminal, knowing him guilty. This view of the attorney's position in the matter has not hitherto commanded the assent of attorneys, no one having offered them a fee for assenting.
Appeal, v.t. In law, to put the dice in the box for another throw.
Lawful, adj. Compatible with the will of a judge having jurisdiction.
Lawyer, n. One skilled in circumvention of the law.
Litigation, n. A machine which you go into as a pig, and come out of as a sausage.
Precedent, n. In Law, a previous decision, rule or practice which, in the absence of a definite statute, has whatever force and authority a Judge may choose to give it, thereby greatly simplifying his task of doing as he pleases...
Rope, n. An obsolescent appliance for reminding assassins that they too are mortal. It is put about the neck and remains in place one's whole life long.
Tree, n. A tall vegetable intended by nature to serve as a penal apparatus, though through a miscarriage of justice most trees bear only a negligible fruit, or none at all. When naturally fruited, the tree is a beneficent agency of civilization and an important factor in public morals.
Trial, n. A formal inquiry designed to prove and put upon record the blameless characters of judges, lawyers and jurors.
* It's NOT Better that 1,000 Criminals Go Free: On the air Denver radio host Mike Rosen quoted to Bob Enyart the nearly thousand-year-old cliché that, "It is better to acquit a thousand guilty persons than to convict a single innocent one." Hollywood too repeats the falsehood here:
* It's Not Even Better to Acquit Ten Guilty than to Convict One Innocent Man: At the Salem Witch Trials and in Blackstone's Commentary on Law, the 1000-to-1 falsehood has been moderated down to ten-to-one. But the claim is still false that, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer." Convicting the innocent and acquiting the guilty are equally horrifying injustices. As the Bible puts it, "He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them alike are an abomination to the Lord" (Proverbs 17:15). The claim that it is better to acquit ten murderers than to convict a single innocent man implies that the one is a greater evil than the other. In reality, they are alike. Whenever we hear a claim about right and wrong that involves a mathematical equation, it typically comes from a humanist, utilitarian mindset (as with John Stuart Mills). We should train ourselves to automatically question any mathematical claim that attempts to quantify morality. Mankind must not attempt to fine tune a justice system so that it is more likely to let murderers go than to convict the innocent. Why not? First, such a goal ignores God's clear statements on the matter. Secondly, when murderers are more likely to avoid conviction, a murder epidemic may result, and the results can backfire so that many, many more innocents may be killed, even gunned down in the streets, than would have died by a judicial effort to seek an even outcome in criminal justice results. Many churches though systematically avoid teaching the criminal justice principles that God included throughout the Bible. When Christians offer suggestions for how a criminal justice system should function, at a minimum they owe God the courtesy of knowing what He has said about perjury, admissibility of evidence, incarceration, due process, presumption of innocence, the appeals process, and so on. If a biblically-informed criminal justice system operated for a century, if it turned out that one hundred cases had been wrongly decided (which, with human fallibility, is certainly possible), then fifty or so would have been wrongly decided against the guilty (that is, the guilty man went free, which of course is a ruling against the guilty, since what even he needed most was justice), and fifty verdicts would have been wrongly decided against the innocent (that is, the innocent was wrongly convicted). If the system had been run with the humanist goal of acquitting ten murderers rather than convicting one innocent man, instead of there being a hundred cases of injustice, there would have been thousands, with injustice everywhere.
* Eyewitnesses Not Needed For Capital Punishment: Another destructive cliché is that a conviction must be based on eyewitnesses in order to justify the execution of a capital criminal. This is false as we demonstrate at kgov.com/two-or-three-eyewitnesses-not-needed-for-an-execution.
* See Also:
- Our 2018 3-part series, How the Church Should Respond to the Crime Epidemic (see the List of Ways, below)
- Our 2001 BEL program kgov.com/about-lawyers
- And if you have a suggestion for a criminal justice or law page here at KGOV that we should link to, please suggest it.
Quiz Question: Which verse in the Epistle to the Hebrews explains this news report? Particularly, when after Argentina's former military dictator, Jorge Rafael Videla, was arrested, an Argentine newspaper greeted the news with the headline: "God Exists!" Videla had been granted amnesty, but the nation's high court eventually ruled that the pardon did not cover the kidnapping of children from the military junta's political opponents (to give them as rewards to its military officers). Videla was arrested in 1998 on orders from the judge investigating the junta's practice of kidnapping "children of the disappeared".
* List of Ways a Christian Can Reduce Crime: How should the Church respond to a crime epidemic? We could positively affect the culture, including by lowering crime and reducing school shootings, if only our leaders would aggressively teach a Christian worldview that properly addresses the following:
- Don’t judge: Stop repeating this false teaching that warps and even silences the influence of millions of Christians.
- Forgive everyone: Stop repeating this false teaching that makes repentance superfluous and leads to corruption, crime, and murder in society, and makes much of the Bible irrelevant including Jesus’ teaching in Luke 17:3.
- Governmental vengeance: Vengeance belongs to the Lord and so God He has delegated vengeance and wrath to governing officials (Romans 13:1-4) to bring against criminals yet the church undermines God’s purpose.
- Personal vengeance: Filling the vengeance vacuum, as the church has undermined God’s purpose for the government to exact vengeance, there is an explosion of personal vengeance, ubiquitous in films, television, video games, and novels, so that from mean girls in high school, to road rage and rottenness online, to all-out murderous violence and school shootings, personal revenge could be its own genre. So Christians should promote government vengeance and the death penalty and warn people about consuming personal vengeance entertainment.
- Can’t vs. Won’t: Liberals have long tried to make it so that men can’t commit crime, instead of that they won’t commit crime. So as conservatives become ever more liberal-like, in 2018 rather than focus on the actual underlying problems, their putting a band-aid on a symptom with their focus on armed teachers and security guards. There’s nothing wrong with effective security, but that’s something you do on your day off, when you’re not actually working on resolving the underlying issues that lead to society’s dysfunction.
- Capital punishment: The death penalty is at the heart of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and capital punishment is supported throughout the New Testament. When Christian leaders join liberals in opposing the death penalty, they undermine both the Gospel and America’s criminal justice.
- Swift execution: The Bible is a criminal justice textbook. Through God's Criminal Justice System, He promises that swift justice will end a crime epidemic when the sentence against a criminal is executed speedily. (A tenner, that is, a ten-year prison term, cannot be executed speedily as can flogging and execution, which should be swift and painful.)
- Oppose suicide: Suicide is destabilizing, like with 9/11 and suicide bombers. When we remove the social stigma against suicide, then many people more readily include suicide among their options, and that includes teenagers, weak minded people, murder-suicide criminals, those who attempt suicide-by-cop, and even kamikazes, and today Islamic suicide bombers. Suicide is inherently destabilizing, promoted by those who don’t know right from wrong, and violates God’s enduring command in Exodus 23:7 which states, Do not kill the innocent. See also kgov.com/suicide.
- Government schools: If the Israelites would have sent their children off to be educated by the godless Philistines, God would have killed the parents. Today, He’s operating differently (thankfully), but it is reckless nonetheless to send a child to our officially godless public schools.
- Godless schools: Even if we put prayer and Bible study back into public schools, they would still be immoral, because God never authorized the government to educate children, and when bureaucrats usurp that authority, parents relinquish that authority, and millions become uninvolved in their kids’ education. So instead of getting prayer into the schools, get your kid out.
- Homeschool instead: One couple told Bob they couldn’t afford to homeschool and the next week he saw the wife with braces on her teeth. Cost of her smile, $7,000. Cost to her child, one soul.
- Question authority: Hippies, left-overers from the 60s, still have a strangehold on our culture. Their "question authority" never meant "challenge individuals in authority", it was a blanket anarchy "question authority", @@
- Liberal brainwashing: The public school curriculum, over 20 hours a week and 13 years, has an overall goal of turning your child into a liberal, leftist, pro-evolution, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual, possibly transgendered, conservative-hating Democratic voter. (I would have said they have the goal of getting your child to turn against God, but that doesn’t seem to affect most Pastors and parents.)
- Sexual immorality: Christians have become desensitized to the criminal nature of sex outside of marriage, which is not only sin but also a crime. For 3,500 years in Judeo-Christian legal history, since Moses through Jesus and Paul, adultery and other forms of sex outside of marriage were and still should be criminal. Living in a sexualized society damages human beings, adding to the instability of those already destabilized, including student murderers.
- Ubiquitous pornography: Led for decades by Focus on the Family's Dr. James Dobson who served catastrophically on the President's Commission on Pornography, Christians have forgotten that it should be criminal to traffic in human sexuality and that sex outside of marriage is inherently criminal. As with homosexuality and the killing of unborn children, Dr. Dobson recommended the "regulation" of pornography, as though there is a way it should be done. And with Christian leaders thus affirming the legitimacy of pornography, of course, there was no shortage of others who made it even more destructive and available at every moment and to everyone, including students.
- Tolerating homosexuality: All forms of sexual immorality, and homosexuality worse than most, are dehumanizing and lead people to think and act as though they were just animals. Tolerance is a bogus value since when we have to tolerate something, that thing isn't ever something good, for we never "tolerate" what is good, but what is gross. A superfluous list tracks Christian leaders and organizations who hate their neighbor by their increasing affirmation of homosexuality.
- Evolved animals: Convincing children that they evolved leads them to act like animals who have no eternal consequences and to conclude that the Book of Genesis is mythological. Alternatively, convincing anyone of the evidence for a young earth provides them with a 100% effective vaccine against atheism.
- No-fault divorce: While marriage is the most fundamental contract upon which civilization is built, our godless society, lawmakers, and leaders have diminished it into the only contract that can be violated without legal consequence.
- Socialism is theft: Socialism, including welfare and Medicaid, violates God's enduring command, Do not steal and so that alone warps the moral compass of kids growing up in America. (Relevantly, each Republican administration since WW2 has outspent the previous Democrat administration including in domestic spending, with President Donald Trump bringing us into the age of trillion-dollar annual deficits including fully funding Planned Parenthood.)
- Abortion kills: Decriminalized abortion feeds our culture of violence and of death, including our education culture, and yet Church leaders are evidently more willing to tolerate Planned Parenthood than the abolitionist Christians who fight to save every child.
- Abortion class: Public schools won't give an aspirin to a student without notifying parents, but they transport girls during school hours for invasive surgery to kill the parents' grandchild. Government schools are the enemy.
- Republican abortion: In his first year as president Donald Trump nominated to the Supreme Court Neil Gorsuch who agrees with the central holding of Roe v. Wade that the unborn child is not a person and with the approval of the court can be legitimately killed. President Trump has also fully funded the Planned Parenthood abortion industry at Barack Obama levels, with approximately $1.5 billion dollars over three years, all of which has been met with either approval, or at most, silence, from Christian leaders, as though they hate him and despise his eternal soul, and care nothing for the teenagers growing up in America's Republican-led death culture. (The Roe v. Wade abortion decision was written by a Republican justice, passed by a Republican majority, and ever since upheld by the Republican-majority court, with every single Reagan, GHWB, GWB, and Trump nominee supporting the central holding of Roe, that the unborn child is not a person and does not have a right to life.)
- Entertainment culture: Violence, humanism, animal rights, godlessness, nihilism, hedonism, materialism, meaninglessness, utter futility, and atheistic eternal emptiness, sold to our children through the culture, boomerangs back in criminal activity. Video game makers, for example, who provide simulation training on how to kill police officers and others, should be vulnerable to lawsuits from victims. Certainly, many such games provide training to and can make minors more effective school shooters.
- Mental illness: Mental illness in minors and adults is exacerbated by our sexualized culture and by the over-prescription of psychotropic drugs, both problems that the media refuses to investigate, including the high percentage of school shooters on Ritalin, etc. Of course, like the government schools, the mainstream media is the enemy.
- Gun regulation: "Common sense gun laws" mostly are a distraction from addressing the real underlying causes of crime and they're a diversion from actually reducing gun violence. It's not can't but won't that properly addresses a crime epidemic. From 1980 to 2018, in U.S. households, gun ownership has fallen from about 50% down to about 30%.
- Hate Crimes: Via the Jussie Smollet Hoax, come up with a better definition and term, at kgov.com/hate-crime.
- The Gospel: Preaching the gospel isn't only a faith issue. It's a domestic tranquility issue and a national security issue.
If you are unsure of the biblical validity of any of the above matters, we strongly recommend that you get our Hermeneutics seminar recording which presents 16 tools, in prioritized order, for interpreting the Bible.