* Limestone Explained by Global Catastrophe: On today's episode of Real Science Radio Bob Enyart and Walt Brown discuss the difference between organic and inorganic limestone. Confirming that many massive deposits are not made up of organic limestone rebuts the typical shallow sea formation theory.
* Organic Limestone: forms from the remains of coral, oysters, crabs, etc., and from certain algae in both shallow and deep seas like like at Normandy, France and the White Cliffs of Dover in England. Enormous inorganic limestone deposits exist around the world including at the Grand Canyon and help to discredit claimed old ages.
* Why Most Limestone Deposits Are Not Organic:
- living processes organize crystals uniformly
- force needed to break shells increases exponentially
- visually see that most grains are not from sea life
- would have poisoned the biosphere by releasing 60,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 grams of carbon
- massive limestone deposits don't only exist where corals, etc., mostly live, within 30 degrees of the equator
- about 21 million cubic miles of limestone exist (based on 10% and 208M cubic mile estimates)
- couldn't rapidly bury of millions of nautiloids in the Grand Canyon's Redwall Limestone
- countless polystrate fossils of many kinds of organisms exist in limestone.
* Post-show Update: To correct a creationist rumor about Walt's teaching on limestone deposits, please see our rsr.org/list-of-answers-to-hydroplate-objections.
* Post-show note on Japan Earthquake & Tsunami: See the BEL Earthquake Warning Policy at our Real Science Radio program on earthquakes, which arose from Bob's debate with a leading geophysicist. Confidence in geological risk assessment is underserved unless the geologist can account for major features of the earth's crustal history including by explaining:
- Why are there 40,000 volcanoes in the Pacific rather than in the Atlantic?
- Why are so many ocean trenches in the Pacific and not in the Atlantic?
- Why does the center of the Pacific trenches lie opposite of the Mid-Atlantic ridge? more...
* To Help the Japan Quake Victims: BEL recommends considering a gift through Samaritan's Purse.
Today’s Resource: Get a science DVD, book, or written, audio or video debate from us and this will help BEL continue to reach people with our Real Science Radio broadcasts! So please check out our Science Department at store.kgov.com. Or to order call BEL at 1-800-8Enyart.
For our RSR Friends: in case you miss other BEL programs, here are some of the atheists Bob Enyart has debated:
- ABC's Wife Swap Guy Reginald Finley, called The Infidel Guy; 3-26-07;
- TheologyOnLine's psychologist Zakath in a 10-round moderated written online debate, also available in soft cover;
- John Henderson who wrote the book God.com 6-15-2006;
- Carlos Morales, Fox News, Huffington Post, etc. reports on U of Texas atheists Bible-turn in program, president of Atheist Agenda 7-14-10
- Freedom from Religion Foundation founder Dan Barker (put the atheist sign near the Nativity at the capitol in Seattle) who was involved with the ministry of Kathryn Kuhlman, one of a group of so-called faith healers. (See a BEL listener who initially compared Bob to Benny Hinn until...) The BEL show was on 12-11-08;
- Leading anti-creationist Eugenie Scott of the Nat'l Center for Science Education, exhumed 5-6-05;
- I Sold My Soul on eBay author Hemant Mehta talks with Bob about gullibility 12-14-10
- Michael Shermer, an editor with Scientific American and the Skeptic Society who in this famous 73-second excerpt on BEL denied that the sun is a light, illustrating that it's tough debating atheists when they're hesitant to admit to even the most obvious common ground. 8-28-03