* BOB DEBATES KEEPING THE SABBATH: This important discussion with Jeff, a Christian brother from Yuma, Colorado about the Sabbath provides a brief yet detailed survey of the biblical material on the subject and significantly develops the issue, directly addressing whether or not God requires people today to keep the Sabbath.
Bob commits most of the air time in today's program to presenting Jeff's position, the claim that on Saturday, the seventh day, Christians should remember the Sabbath, rest, and not work. Jeff validated Bob's presentation of this Seventh-Day doctrine. In the last part of the program, Bob presented the reasons why millions of Christians believe that God does not want us to continue to keep the Sabbath.
* Laws that Took Precedence Over the Sabbath: The discussion includes Jesus' teaching that "on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath and [yet, even though they violate it, they] are blameless" (Mat. 12:5) for God specifically commanded the priests to offer sacrifices and to do other work which of necessity would have to be done on the Sabbath. Likewise, God's command of circumcision took precedence over His Sabbath command and required many to "profane", that is, to treat as common, the Sabbath. For the Lord reminded His hearers, "you circumcise a man on the Sabbath... so that the law of Moses should not be broken" (John 7:22-23). All of this of course helps to clarify the biblical principles:
- Unlike moral laws, symbolic laws can contradict one other.
- Symbolic laws, therefor, cannot be absolute. And
- Symbolic laws are subordinate to moral laws.
Remember also that it was in this context that Jesus taught us, "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment" (John 7:24).
* Back to Jeff: At this point Jeff was disappointed that he didn't get more air time, but already most of the program had been spent in a presentation of his position which he affirmed was accurate. And of course Jeff is welcome to call back on the topic.
This subject follows well on last week's conversation between Bob and Sidney, the Muslim from Chicago who brought up that most Christians do not keep the Sabbath, an observation that Bob agreed with and in brief attempted to explain why.
Today’s Resource: Bob Enyart's life's work is based on this observation: Grasping the overview of the Bible is the KEY to its DETAILS. It's available in a soft-cover book titled The Plot, and in a downloadable pdf version or both, and it's also available in an audio recording of Bob's Plot seminars! And have your kids or grand kids heard the The Plot Boys yet? In this audio series for young people, Bob and two young boys, Stephen and Josh, teach through an overview of the Bible. This teaching is presented in a way that kids (and adults) can really understand, so it's a valuable foundation for a serious understanding of the story of the Bible. Also, consider ordering the entire Enyart Library! This invaluable resource will benefit your entire family or church and help support the ministry of Bob Enyart Live.