Bob Enyart and RSR guest co-host Doug McBurney present the latest peer-reviewed studies, and review the last couple decades of studies showing how destructive marijuana is. Also, from their Pot-Never-Killed-Anybody file, the guys present the latest news of folks killed by marijuana.
* Research Showing the Harmful Effects of Marijuana Use
- 2015 study: Strong pot yields hallucination, paranoia & schizophrenia
- 2014 study: in PNAS, pot users have shrunken brains and lower IQ
- 2014 study: large Lancet study shows high schoolers 63% less likely to graduate, 8-fold increased odds of using other illegal drugs, and 7-fold increased likelihood of attempted suicide
- 2012 study: Landmark study in PNAS: pot permanently lowers IQ
- 2012 study: Netherlands study of 2,000 teens show pot/psychosis link
- 2010 study: Netherlands study shows marijuana may stunt fetal growth
- 2009 study: American Chemical Society reports, marijuana damages DNA and may cause cancer
- 2009 study: Pot during pregnancy predicts long-lasting neurobehavioural problems for the child
- 2004 study: Hungarian Neuropsychopharmacologia journal reports schizoid psychosis from smoking pot
- 1989 study: In the U.S., from back when it was weaker, pot associated with impaired fetal growth
- A Nursing Mother Smoking Marijuana Passes the Drug to Her Child
- Habitual Marijuana Use Strongly Associated with Car Crash Injury
- Smoking Marijuana Doubles the Risk of Fatal Accidents
- Marijuana Smoke Contains Higher Levels of Certain Toxins than Tobacco Smoke
- Marijuana Smoker Face Rapid Lung Destruction: As much as 20 Years Ahead of Tobacco Smokers
- Impact On Lungs of One Cannabis Joint Equal to Up To Five Cigarettes
- Marijuana Component Opens the Door for Virus that Causes Kaposi's Sarcoma (links to Harvard study)
- Marijuana Causes Learning and Memory Impairments from the journal Neurobiology.
- By 2013 the Denver Post still hasn't come out of their stupor but at least they've noticed the fog. Sad but important insights on the long lasting harm from smoking pot as described by a professor from the University of Colorado's School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. (Notice the Post uncritically quoting a pot dealer who speaks of his customers as his "patients".)
more... [Help RSR reach page one of Google search results for: negative effects of marijuana. To accomplish this extremely difficult task (hopefully by the end of 2015), please share and post this link kgov.com/negative-effects-of-marijuana, including wherever people are wondering about the effects of marijuana.]
* From the Pot Never Killed Anybody file: Here's a tragic 2015 case from Indiana where a 28-year-old ingested marijuana edibles and proceeded to drive a car and kill two people including a 22-year-old woman. It'd be worthwhile for someone, perhaps you!, to start a listing, on Wikiepedia or somewhere online, of people killed by marijuana use.