Today's program has been designated as a Special Edition of Real Science Radio because of the alleged "Natural History" Museum segment later in the program:
- Articles in the Rocky Mountain News (before it folded) and in the Colorado Springs Gazette (back when they could still afford to keep their archives online) quoted Denver Museum curator Dr. Kirk Johnson saying that creationists like our friends at BC Tours are "quite backward and intellectually dishonest" and that "they don't believe science exists." And this from a man, whom we fondly refer to as Captain Kirk, who told us that he doesn't know if he exists! Bob's letter to the Gazette (below also) asks, "It's been fifty years since that Miller experiment! Don't they know if they made life yet or not?"
Letter to the Colorado Springs Gazette Editor,
Let me fill in a few details from the creationist BC Tours event at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science described in Paul Asay’s Jurassic Ark story. One misleading exhibit headline, referring to the 1952 Miller/Urey synthesis of amino acids read: Replicating Life in the Lab? It’s been fifty years! Don’t they know if they made life yet or not? [2012 Update: Now it's been 60 years, and they still haven't figured it out.] Their question mark is insufficient to counterbalance this false report, since amino acids are essential to life, but they are not life, they are acids. Then, an exclamation mark follows a caption of a toothy cartoon man smiling at a fish. At a child’s eye-level, the museum declares, “Teeth evolved from scales!” If a question mark justifies the false report about life created in the lab, this exclamation mark tells kids with certainty the wild assumption that human teeth evolved from fish scales. Finally, a major exhibit title, How Evolution Works, is answered with the worn out Peppered Moth story, with a change in the percent of light vs. dark colored biston betularia moths in England, which only shows a demographic variation within a species. An increase in the percentage of whites living in Harlem is not evolution; and the fact that Denver’s multimillion dollar “Prehistoric Journey” did not find an actual example of how evolution works tells us creationists that they have no good examples!
Pastor Bob Enyart
Denver Bible Church
- Callers Doris: Bob, you're right, but we can't afford a public school, and I'm not educated enough to home school. "Oh, yes you are Doris!" Adam: Bob, any good questions for our evolution teachers? "How long does an animal live with bad legs before they evolve into good wings? How does a caterpillar, the first time ever, spin a cocoon around itself, liquify itself, and reassemble itself into a flying insect?"
- Washington Post to Cut 80 Jobs! It couldn't happen to a nicer organization.
- Iran Builds Secret Underground Complex! ?? We'll it's not secret anymore if even a Christian radio show is reporting it! Must be old news.
- The Best Nuts Come from California: Sacramento lawmakers disagree over how public schools will present homosexuality, and regardless, your daughter will be continually sexually harassed in her public school.
Correction: Initially Bob thought the exhibit was titled "Life Created in the Lab?"