* The Scope: Seven percent of Brazil's adults believe the Earth is flat; 10% of the French doubt it's a globe; and ScienceAlert reports on a YouGov survey showing that nearly three million U.S. "adults" 18 to 24 claim the earth is flat. Meanwhile, the global young earth creation movement rescues people out of the flat earth delusion.
* The Interview: Bob Enyart interviews a Ph.D. in astronomy Dr. Danny Faulkner on his book, Falling Flat: A Refutation of Flat Earth Claims. Dr. Faulkner says that at the beginning of their first semester, none of his students at the University of South Carolina were able to answer his question, how do we know that the Earth is a sphere? But, as we would expect, when he taught at a Christian high school, his new students there were able to answer his question. Danny describes for our Real Science Radio audience the cosmology of the flat earth movement including their claim about the shape of the Earth, a dome with embedded stars, and a spotlight sun and moon, and their common conflation of geocentrism with their flat earth syndrome. The guys also discuss the Columbus myth, the modern fabrication that the church had ever taught a flat earth, the Christian creationists Copernicus, Newton, and Kepler, who introduced and explained heliocentrism, and the causes of the modern flat earth movement including paranoia and the horrendously poor state of science education in the west. Finally, Dr. Faulkner and Bob discuss some of their favorite arguments against the flat earth.
* The Chicago Photo: While Bob and Dr. Faulkner discuss how the weather affects light, check out the December 26, 2019 photographs of an eclipse on the horizon over the Persian Gulf.
* The Flat Earth Graphic: Have you noticed that the stars rotate in the opposite direction, and that the "man in the moon" is upside down, in the southern hemisphere? (Remember Bob's New Zealand trip.) Compared to viewing it from the northern hemisphere, you don't see a different side of the Moon (see below) in the southern hemisphere, as you would with the flat earth's nearby moon, but it merely appears upside down, which is a simple cure for the flat earth syndrome:
* The RSR Related Resources:
- rsr.org/flat-earth-society president a Darwinist
- rsr.org/faith-on-the-edge-flat-earth-interview with Kyle Justice & Pat Roy
- rsr.org/flat-earth interview with an astronomer (this show)
- rsr.org/which-popes-taught-a-flat-earth (none)
- Moon Landing Conspiracy Hoax Refuted
- Rebutting Geocentrism
- The Cosmological Principle
- RSR's Interview with James Hannam on the medieval world
- RSR's The Firmament (raqia) of Day Two.
* Google Shows Flat Earth Online Activity Down: In May 2020 Dr. Faulkner reminded RSR of Google's policy change to decrease the visibility of conspiracies, and that may be the primary cause of the results in the graph below depicting worldwide and US plummeting flat earth interest. (Of course godless Google is far from infallible in their estimation of what is fake news, but as a broken clock is right twice a day, sometimes they get it right.) So with the flat-earth movement approaching critical mass, we'll look for other evidence to determine whether it is shrinking or growing. And either way, we Christians should continue to battle against this symptom of paranoia and mental illness.
* RSR's List of Christian Religious Orders that Taught a Flat Earth: Which of the following Christian authorities and organizations taught the flat Earth?
- Of Catholic religious orders...
(Franciscans, Dominicans, Augustinians, Benedictines, Trappists, Carmelites, etc.)
- Of Protestant denominations...
(Lutherans, Anglicans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Congregationalists, Church of Christ, Baptists, etc.)
- Of Eastern Christianity...
(Eastern Orthodox, Oriental, Ethiopian, Eastern Catholic, Assyrian)
- Of the Popes of the Roman Catholic Church...
(which among all 266 of them)
- Of the councils...
(Jerusalem, Rome, Ephesus, Carthage, Antioch, Nicea, etc.)
- Of the creeds...
(Apostles, Nicene, Chalcedonian, Athanasian, etc.)
- Of the confessions
(Augsburg, Confession of Faith, Heidelberg, 95 Theses, Canons of Dordt, Westminster, etc.)
- Of the Reformation's universities...
(Universities of Geneva, Jena, Leiden, Dublin, Groningen, Strasbourg, Utrecht, etc.)
- Of the Christian creationist fathers of science:
(Paracelsus d. 1541, Copernicus 1543, Bacon 1626, Kepler 1636, Galilei 1642, Harvey 1657, Pascal 1662, Boyle 1691, Huygens 1695, Newton 1727, Linnaeus 1778, Cuvier 1832, Dalton 1844, Faraday 1867)
- Of the Christian-founded universities of the Middle Ages...
(Oxford, Cambridge, Universities of Paris, Bologna, Rome, Toulouse, Pisa, Orleans, Prague, Salamanca, Florence, Monpellier, Naples, Dublin, Vienna, Heidelberg, Cologne, Barcelona, Basel, Glasgow, Tübingen, Aberdeen, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, Bonaventure, St. Andrews, etc.)
- Of the church's leading historical theologians and authors...
(Justin Martyr d. 165, Athenagros, 190, Clement 216, Tertullian 220, Origen 254, Cyprian 258, Athanasius 373, Basil 379, Gregory 395, Ambrose 397, Chrysostom 407, Jerome 420, Augustine 430, Cyril 444, Boethius 525, Gregory the Great 604, Anselm 1109, Hildegard 1179, Magnus 1280, Francis 1286, Bonaventure 1274, Aquinas 1274, John Duns Scotus 1308, William of Ockham 1347, Wycliffe 1384, Zwingli 1531, Erasmus 1535, Luther 1546, Servetus 1553, Ignatius 1556, Melanchthon 1560, Menno 1561, Calvin 1564, Knox 1572, John Foxe 1587, Arminius 1609, John Milton 1674, Owen 1683, John Bunyan 1688, Whitefield 1770, Wesley 1791, etc.)
Answer: NONE OF THEM.
Affirmation: In September 2020 the above list and the following paragraph were sent to University of California history professor Dr. Jeffrey Russell. On the 23rd he responded to RSR with an affirmation of these details.
If the Bible actually taught a flat Earth, and especially prior to Copernican heliocentrism, one would expect the church to have taught the flat Earth. But the Bible doesn't, and the church never has. Against the truth, millions of atheists, etc., continue to allege that the church has historically taught a flat earth either because those materialists are uneducated or because they are willing to make false accusations. See the links at rsr.org/flat-earth#prof for University of California history professor Dr. Jeffrey Russell's writings Inventing the Flat Earth and The Myth of the Flat Earth. Today though, combining the negative effects of social media with the low-quality science education of our public schools, and we have a global phenomenon whereby, as per above, 10% of the population of France (a secular society) is unsure about a spherical Earth, and remember, according to LiveScience the president of the Flat Earth Society Daniel Shenton is a Darwinist.
* Young Earth Creation Movement Rescues Flat Earthers: The massive, worldwide young earth creation movement rescues people out of the flat earth movement. Here at Real Science Radio we hope research will be conducted to determine who is more likely to believe the earth is flat, folks who graduated from Christian home school or from public school? Hopefully it's not from bias, but we predict that publicly schooled people are significantly more likely, partly because of their poor science education and partly because so many are potheads.
Today's Resource: Evidence Against the Big Bang
When people wonder what evidence exists for the Big Bang, many ask Google. And not surprisingly, when folks search for: evidence against the Big Bang, Google sends most of them on over to Real Science Radio's List of Evidence Against the Big Bang. Yet this is surprising: When NASA urges you to trust the theory because of its confirmed "predictions", folks who Google: big bang predictions, also find RSR's article ranked #1!
This video can help prepare you for the coming revolution in cosmology. The nine pieces of evidence presented herein are bringing people out of the failed science of the 1900s and into the 21st century demanding truth regarding both the origin of universe and ultimately, the origin of ourselves.
And now, let's leave out the word "predictions" and leave out the word "against". Increasingly, when scientists and others just Google: big bang evidence, the search engine is sending them on over to RSR's evidence AGAINST the Big Bang! So whether you are a creationist or even if you're dug in still defending the old scheme on the origin of the cosmos, you'll want to watch this video to catch up with the latest amazing science on the big bang!
Big Bang Video Endorsements
- Former NASA Cassini Saturn mission lead ground systems administrator David Coppedge:
"Great work on the Big Bang video! It's excellent. You did your homework and the information is presented clearly at the right level for most people. I like how you preemptively close off comeback arguments from materialists."
Coppedge is a board member of the group that produced the Privileged Planet video.
- Australian physicist, cosmologist, professor, and award-winning co-creator of the world's most precise clock, physicist Dr. John Hartnett:
"I recommend that you buy and watch RSR's Big Bang video! I find it to be excellent. During RSR's on-air debate with Lawrence Krauss, this leading big bang proponent said that, 'All evidence overwhelmingly supports the big bang.' So RSR began assembling a list of peer-reviewed evidence against the paradigm which led to this great video!"
Walt Brown's In the Beginning is OUT OF PRINT! Do you have a used copy you don't need? Here at Real Science Radio/BEL we've long been a source of information about the rsr.org/HPT and a great place to purchase Dr. Brown's 8th Edition. But now we're out. If you have a copy that you've already read, or that you know that you're not going to read, and would like to help us, even though the postage will be expensive, we ask you to consider mailing your copy to BEL, 6126 Braun Court, Arvada CO 80004.