Curator Otis Kline: On this special edition of Real Science Radio, Otis Kline, founder of the Glendive Dinosaur & Fossil Museum talks with Bob Enyart about the two world renowned laboratories that both reported Carbon 14 in their Edmontosaur, Hadrosaur, and Triceratops fossils. These results match two peer-reviewed studies that have also carbon dated dinosaur era specimens, from multiple labs, and all indicating that these specimens are thousands and not millions of years old!
Visit the Glendive Dinosaur & Fossil Museum: If you're going to Montana, you've GOT TO SEE THIS MUSEUM! If you're not going to Montana, you've GOT TO GO TO MONTANA! Please call ahead if you are planning to go: (406) 377-FACT (3228) or email Otis Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Otis Cline & the Museum on RSR: Here are all our Dinosaur & Fossil Museum programs with Otis Cline:
- Bob with Museum Curator Otis Kline: Otis' first appearance, in 2007, on RSR.
- Montana's Fabulous Fossil Museum: Otis tells RSR in 2010 about the labs that found 14c in their Edmontosaurus fossil.
- Dinosaurs, Fossils & Montana's Best Museum: This 2012 program.
* 2013 Update: It turns out that Otis Kline and Bob Enyart are neighbors! (If only in the pages of the Spring CRSQ (Creation Research Society Quarterly)! RSR reported on Bob's paper titled, Dobzhansky: Forty Years Later Nothing Makes Sense. In the same CRSQ issue, Otis Kline co-authored: A Partial Mandible in the Stomach Contents of a Tyrannosaurus rex. "[E]ven though evolutionists have grudgingly accepted mammalian and dinosaurian co-existence in recent years, they have not always done so. ... " RSR friend Cline and his co-authors also wrote that, "The [dinosaur mammal prey] evidence, which revealed itself so quickly in this study, suggests that a biblical starting point would have advanced dinosaurian knowledge by decades." Otis Klines co-authored paper adds additional perspective to the work of Dr. Carl Werner. Consider, from our RSR program and show summary, What Museums Aren't Showing You, that crocodiles and mammals ate dinosaurs. And dinosaurs ate birds (which they allegedly evolved into). Dr. Werner also points out that, "Paleontologists have found 432 mammal species in the dinosaur layers; almost as many as the number of dinosaur species. … But where are these fossils? We visited 60 [natural history] museums but did not see a single complete mammal skeleton from the dinosaur layers displayed at any of these museums."
* See Bob's Software Invention: at realscienceradio.com/Display.exe. Bob's program can display, among other things, the source code for any software program!
* Find the Two PhysOrg.com Errors in the Following Quote: Curator Otis Cline informed our RSR audience about this recent scientific discovery of interest toward refuting old-earth assumptions. QUESTIONS: Regarding the soft muscle tissue from a salamander recently excavated, a PhysOrg.com article has an error in the first and last sentences of this excerpt. Can you spot them?
Scientists have extracted organically preserved muscle tissue from an 18 million years old salamander fossil. The discovery by researchers from University College Dublin, the UK and Spain, reported in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B shows that soft tissue can be preserved under a broader set of fossil conditions than previously known. The scientists claim that their discovery is unequivocal evidence that high-fidelity organic preservation of extremely decay prone soft tissues is more common in the fossil record - the only physical record of the history of life on earth.
ANSWERS: Last Sentence Error. This PhysOrg report falsely claims that fossils are the only physical record of the history of life on earth. Because of heritable mutations and other modifications to the genomes of millions of different species, DNA provides another physical record of the history of life. Our own cells therefore provide a biological clock that could theoretically date the original man and woman from whom all living human beings descended! (See realscienceradio.com/list#mtDNA) And there is plenty of unfossilized animal and plant material that scientists have excavated (and even just picked up off the ground) from allegedly millions of years ago.
First Sentence Error. The first sentence repeats the fallacy that such fossils bearing soft tissue are millions of years old. Original biological material including as in a T. rex, a hardrosaur, Archaeopteryx, a mosasaur, and this salamander, would not survive for millions of years. (See realscienceradio.com/list-of-not-so-old-things.)
* Amazingly Accurate Measurements: Mass spectrometers are now so precise they can practically count individual carbon 14 atoms. With the accuracy and caution used in labs to not contaminate specimens it is very unlikely that the dating of soft tissue from dinosaurs is inaccurate. Therefore these results reliably indicate ages in the thousands and not in the millions of years. For more, see realscienceradio.com/list#c14.
* Here's the List of Peer-Reviewed Soft Tissue Papers: In addition to our list of links to journal papers with excerpts, at KGOV.com/dinosaur-soft-tissue#research, here's that great list of papers that Otis Kline mentioned!
* The Written Debate with Atheist AronRa and Bob Enyart: The creation/evolution debate on the British website League of Reason continues with Bob's post in Round Four. We're eagerly waiting for Aron's Round Four post!
Today's Resource: Have you browsed through our Science Department in the KGOV Store? Check out especially Walt Brown's In the Beginning and Bob's interviews with this great scientist in Walt Brown Week! You'll also love Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez' Privileged Planet (clip), and Illustra Media's Unlocking the Mystery of Life (clip)! You can consider our BEL Science Pack; Bob Enyart's Age of the Earth Debate; and the superb kids' radio programming, Jonathan Park: The Adventure Begins! And Bob strongly recommends that you subscribe to CMI's tremendous Creation magazine!