* Soteriology 101, Ken Wilson, and James White: Bob Enyart concludes his look at this painfully fun and educational video (see it below) from Leighton Flower's Soteriology 101. The video responds to reformed theologian James White's false claim that some Christian leaders in the church's first centuries taught similarly to one of the core Calvinist doctrines, that of Irresistable Grace. The information age has not been easy on Calvinists. The old reformed claim about church history and various doctrines (predestination, election, irresistible grace, bondage of the will, etc.), that it is the Calvinists who teach what the church has always taught, has been powerfully falsified by church historians on both sides (including in Ken Wilson's Oxford thesis). Bob Enyart debated James White on whether God can think new thoughts (reformed and many other theologians answer, no) and whether the future is settled or open (and they answer, settled). So we're not neutral but nonetheless, wow, it would be wise for James White to apologize to Dr. Wilson and retract his video.
* Related Resources: For those interested, please see...
- part 1 of Bob's look at this painfully fun video at kgov.com/wilson-white-soteriology-101
- kgov.com/leighton-flowers for our interview of the great theologian who founded Soteriology 101
- kgov.com/300 for Christians Taught Free Will for their First 300 Years from Marston & Forster
- R.C. Sproul Jr. & White basically deny the incarnation in the Enyart/White debate aftermath
- and then, brace yourself, for this...
* Augustinian Sympathizer: As noted by Marston & Forster, Oxford professor of historical theology Alister McGrath, an Augustinian sympathizer, nonetheless admits that:
The pre-Augustinian theological tradition is practically of one voice in asserting the freedom of the human will.
- Alister McGrath, Iustitia Dei: A History of the Christian Doctrine of Justification, 1998, p. 20
Today's Resource: Predestination & Free Will Debate
Can God change? Does He change? Has God pre-planned all events? Is your life following a complete script, written before you were born? Has it been decided in advance which, if any, of your children will go to heaven or hell?
WARNING: We strongly urge you to watch Bob's Predestination and Free Will Video Seminar before watching this video. Remember, we warned you... seriously!
* White and Sproul Effectively Deny the Incarnation: In the immediate debate aftermath James White and R.C. Sproul Jr. both denied that God the Son took upon Himself a human nature. James White said, "God the Son does not have two natures. I did not 'admit' that He did/does/will etc. Jesus of Nazareth was one Person with two natures." R.C. Sproul Jr. added, "God the Son didn't go from one nature to two. God the Son didn't have a human nature. God the Son does not now nor has He ever had two natures."