* Mathematics is One of the Languages of God: Real Science Radio speaks with James Nickel, author of Mathematics: Is God Silent? Nickel talks with Bob Enyart about Albert Einstein and how the personal creator God is the answer to the question that Einstein wrestled to answer. Bob and James also talk about Isaac Newton, Johann Kepler, and why science was stillborn in ancient Greece. Bob wrote the following article about Einstein and math as he was inspired by James Nickel's evening presentation at the Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship.
* Real Science Radio Goes To Math Class: Here are a few exceprts from our 2014 program at rsr.org/mathematics...
* How Einstein and Others Can Use Their Minds To Make Discoveries: As pointed out by author James Nickel, mathematicians turn away from the physical universe and yet make astounding discoveries that help to explain the world of matter and energy. Using their minds, rather than microscopes or telescopes, these discoveries come decades and even centuries before their real-world counterparts make the discovery by observational science, or before technological advance enables confirmation. RSR suggests as an example mathematician and astronomer Joseph-Louis Lagrange who discovered the gravitationally stable Lagrange Points where today we position our most important exploratory satellites. Lagrange was born in Turin, Italy in 1736 and discovered these points with his mind. Time Magazine's Albert Einstein: The Enduring Legacy says that today's "high precision instruments such as atomic clocks and lasers... have shown that he was absolutely on target with the equations he worked out with nothing more than a pencil." And describing an Einstein visit in 1931 to California's Mount Wilson Observatory where Edwin Hubble had been making astronomy history with a 100-inch reflecting telescope, Richard Lacayo writes for Time that, "When the astronomers there boasted that their telescope could probe the structure of the universe, Elsa quipped: 'My husband does that on the back of an old envelope.'"
* Einstein's Lab Where He Discovered Special Relativity: Materialists often claim though, along with many similar atheist cliches, that you can only know that which your five senses tell you. (But which of their five senses told them that?) For today's atheists are becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the reality of logic, with the existence of truth, and even with information itself.
* Comprehending What Einstein Said Was Incomprehensible: Einstein wrote that it was "incomprehensible" that the non-physical realm of "ideas" could even exist in a physical world. It was "incomprehensible to him that non-physical mathematics, which itself is not composed of matter or energy, could describe so beautifully the physical universe. The explanation for this phenomenon is one that Einstein (and Krauss) reject a priori. Mankind can understand the correspondence between pure ideas and physical phenomenon only by the realization that the universe was designed in the mind of God. So its workings can be discovered by the mind of men who are made in God's image. However, Einstein denied the existence of a personal God. Yet in more accurate science, as Kepler is paraphrased, we are thinking God's thoughts after Him.
* Mathematics Useless for Moral Truth: Conversely, while math helps man to understand physical reality, it is no use whatsoever regarding moral truth. Moral understanding never involves numbers. As American Right To Life put it in their Albert Einstein: In His Own Words article:
In 1936 Einstein famously wrote, 'the most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible,' and in 1944, remarking about Bertrand Russell, he described the ability to get from matter to ideas as a 'gulf-logically unbridgeable,' which some scientists and linguists refer to as Einstein's Gulf, and in 1950, Einstein wrote that 'science can only ascertain what is, but not what should be,' necessarily excluding from its domain 'value judgments of all kinds.'
* For More from RSR Goes To Math Class: Just click on over to rsr.org/math.
* James Nickel Speaks Tonight in Denver: The Rocky Mountain Creation Fellowship welcomes Nickel who has traveled from his home in Washington to present to us Why Mathematics Works. Nickel has:
- taught math for nearly 30 years
- teaches at the Potter’s School which partners with homeschool families
- has been a computer systems analyst
- was a mathematical analyst in the 1970s for the United States Navy at Pt. Mugu Naval Air Station in California
- is a Senior Fellow of Mathematics at the Center for Cultural Leadership, and
- is an Adjunct Professor of the History and Philosophy of Mathematics at Rivendell Sanctuary, a worldview college in Minneapolis, Minnesota (which has on faculty one of Bob's favorite authors, Nancy Pearcey).
Stephen Hawking Flashbacks: Go to the Moon to Avoid Global Warming: First, end-of-the-world doomsday prophet atheist astrophysicist Stephen Hawking wants mankind to respond to the problems of global warming by colonizing the Moon or Mars evidently forgetting that the Moon's daytime temperature is over 200 degrees (107 C) and that neither location has liquid water or oxygen. The Sun is Earth's source of global warming, and because Mars is 50 million miles further from our Sun, its temperature ranges from 1 degree F down to 178 below! So mankind should flee from a temporary one degree fluctuation in the Earth's temperature into about 200 degrees, above and below zero, and say good-bye to liquid water and oxygen. And if global warming is so threatening to mankind, why does Hawking overlook the more logical safe havens of Antarctica, Greenland and Siberia?
* Hawkings: The Aliens Will Be Mean: Now, Stephen Hawking is urging mankind: "Don't talk to the aliens!" Why not? They may be mean! (Like on Star Trek, no?)
* Hawking's Circular Reasoning Exposed on Origins: Hawking says that the matter of the universe came from energy borrowed from the gravitational energy of the universe, to which Real Science Radio asks, "What universe?" If you're explaining the origin of the universe, you cannot appeal to the universe itself. And Hawking claims that the laws of physics produced the universe even though 1) Big Bang cosmology claims that those laws did not exist prior to the Big Bang and 2) laws can't do anything. For example, the law of the conservation of angular momentum doesn't make anything and doesn't start anything moving. Newton's laws of motion don't make billiard balls move on a table but rather, they explain movements that occur.
Today’s Resource: Get the Spike Psarris DVD What You Aren't Being Told About Astronomy! Have you browsed through our Science Department in the KGOV Store? Check out especially Walt Brown’s In the Beginning and Bob’s interviews with this great scientist in Walt Brown Week! You’ll also love Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez’ Privileged Planet (clip), and Illustra Media’s Unlocking the Mystery of Life (clip)! You can consider our BEL Science Pack; Bob Enyart’s Age of the Earth Debate; Bob's debate about Junk DNA with famous evolutionist Dr. Eugenie Scott; and the superb kids' radio programming, Jonathan Park: The Adventure Begins! And Bob strongly recommends that you subscribe to CMI’s tremendous Creation magazine!
Online Math Tutorials for Kids (and adults :): To better understand some simple, and more complex, concepts in math, check out BetterExplained.com!