* March 2015 IAU Image Typical of Pluto Expectations: (Below, see our list of solar system formation problems.) Just a few months ago, the International Astronomical Union used an image of Pluto (right) that represents the expectations of secular astronomers depicting a heavily cratered body grimy from sweeping up billions of years of space dust. Again though, the predictions of old-earth astronomy failed. Likewise, from its physics to its major predictions, the entire theory of solar system formation, the nebular hypothesis, has failed.
* NASA Planet Guy Admits Failed Theory: Real Science Radio hosts Bob Enyart and Fred Williams then back up to get the big picture by quoting NASA's exoplanet database manager Caltech astronomer Mike Brown who said: “Before we ever discovered any [planets outside the solar system] we thought we understood the formation of planetary systems pretty deeply… It was a really beautiful theory. And, clearly, thoroughly wrong." Exoplanets, with their masses, sizes, composition and orbital characteristics differ from what had been predicted for decades by the standard model of solar system formation, including with their retrograde orbits, highly inclined orbits and hot jupiters, effectively falsifying that model.
* July 2015 What Pluto Actually Looks Like: The actual photos of Pluto from NASA's New Horizons mission will help make it obvious to thousands more people that the nebular hypothesis theory of origins is not helpful in understanding our solar system (or any other solar system for that matter). On today's program, Bob and Fred air an audio clip from a leading planetary scientist on the Passport to Pluto Science Channel update on NASA's mission acknowledging that even close to home, the predictions of mainstream (secular) astronomy mostly fail, and that's for planets nearest to home, in our very own solar system system.
* List of Problems with Solar System Formation: Taken together, the impressive scientific discoveries that completely falsify the nebular hypothesis of solar system formation include these:
- exoplanets contradict the predictions of the nebular hypothesis theory
- our Sun is missing nearly 100% of its predicted spin
- our Sun's rotation is seven degrees off the ecliptic
- planets would not form because as admitted in Nature in 2013, "according to standard theory, dust grains orbiting newborn stars should spiral into those stars rather than accrete to form planets”
- even when dust grains and small rocks collide gently they break apart instead of accreting to form planetesimals
- even if the laws of physics enabled planet formation 4.5 billion years is far too little time to build large planets
- the missing predicted uniform distribution pattern of solar system isotopes
- the other rocky planets don't have a lot of radioactivity in their crust as Earth does
- the missing expected uniform distribution of Earth's radioactivity
- the contrary-to-expectations fine tuning of the solar system
- the many contrary-to-expectations transient events in the solar system
- that proponents are catastrophists trying to prop up the theory by claiming ubiquitous planetary catastrophism
- star formation has seemingly intractable physics problems (consider the Philae landing)
- contrary to an Oort or Kuiper origin, comets contain earth-like minerals and rounded boulders
- short-period comets still exist even though they have lifespans of only thousands of years
- the 1,346 trans-Neptunian objects with known orbits reach perihelion at the ecliptic
- the MNRAS published analysis showing simulations can never demonstrate both planet and asteroid formation
- peanut-shaped asteroids present a deep, unsolved mystery to secular astrophysicists
- Mercury has greater density than can be accounted for by evolutionary accretion
- NASA's 45-year lunar dust data collector shows that miles, not inches, should have accumulated in billions of years
- the rocky planets Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars would rotate far more slowly if accreted from a condensing nebula
- the origin of the gas giants Jupiter and Saturn has no "satysfying explanation" per the journal Science in 2002
- of the 170+ moons, as with others generally, those that would be explained as forming with their planets should have orbits lying near their equatorial plane but many do not
- 30 moons orbit retrograde (backwards)
- that Uranus rotates perpendicularly, Pluto rolls, and Venus rotates backwards.
* Planet Formation Not Demonstrable by the Laws of Physics: Reports in 1972, 2000, and 2015, concur that the claim that the idea of planets accreting from collisions of dust and small rocks has not been demonstrated by application of the law of physics. “It turns out to be surprisingly difficult for planetesimals to accrete mass during even the most gentle collisions”, Scientific American, May 2000. “But little is known about how microscopic dust particles can grow 14 orders of magnitude bigger to become a giant planet within the relatively short lifetime of the disk”, the journal Nature, November 2015. And regarding the gas giants, "Talk about a major embarrassment for planetary scientists. There, blazing away in the late evening sky, are Jupiter and Saturn—the gas giants that account for 93% of the solar system’s planetary mass—and no one has a satisfying explanation of how they were made”, Science, November 2002. Notice that mainstream science outlets typically do not acknowledge severe problems with their most popular theories unless they have something, anything, to offer as a possible patch or replacement. If they were more objective, they would readily acknowledge such problems. Also, these science publishers, acting as a public relations service for the atheistic worldview, have adopted a ploy advocated by Eugenie Scott by which they present every new problematic discovery as "shedding new light onto how" such and such a thing originated, rather than forthrightly acknowledging that the latest discovery tends to falsify their theory.
So the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, the BBC, Nova, Bill Nye, Lawrence Krauss, etc., wrongly built public confidence in the secular origins nebular hypothesis story. The longstanding claims of solar system formation were invented ad hoc to account for the particulars of our own solar system. Now that thousands of exoplanets are being discovered, the story telling will simply become, as with epicycles and levels of Darwinian selection, shall we say, more complex.
* Dec. 2, 2015 Issue of Nature: How the Solar System Didn't Form: From the Nature article, "Standard planet-formation models have been unable to reconstruct the distributions of the Solar System's small, rocky planets and asteroids in the same simulation. A new analysis suggests that it cannot be done." David Coppedge quotes the following from the article, and RSR has added the bracketed comments:
[MYTH:] About 4.5 billion years ago, the Solar System formed in a disk of gas and dust particles that surrounded the newly born Sun. The ‘giant’ planets (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) formed first, within the few million years of the disk’s lifetime. Closer to the Sun, the small, rocky ‘terrestrial’ planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars) took tens of million years to form, by collisions of numerous smaller objects generated in the disk. Myriad small bodies formed the asteroid belt between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter.
[REALITY:] Despite decades of attempts, no computational realization of standard formation theories has reproduced the mass and orbital distribution of both the terrestrial planets and the asteroids. Writing in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Izidoro et al. show that this is not possible.
Enjoy also RSR's Planet Formation Theory Decimated.
* RSR's List of Claimed Planetary Catastrophes: Secular astronomers are planetary catastrophists. The secular world denies that a singular deluge catastrophe could have happened on Earth, yet because they deny that one catastrophe, atheist scientists constantly invoke far more catastrophic events, repeated planetary collisions, etc., everywhere else! Yet because the scientific community abhors a single flood catastrophe on Earth that explains our geological past, therefore they must constantly invoke planetary collisions, in the vast expanse of the volume of the solar system no less, to attempt to account for their materialist origin of the solar system:
- Mercury to explain its high density
- Venus to explain its retrograde rotation
- Venus to explain its lack of a moon
- Earth to explain the presence of its moon
- Earth to explain the presence of water (via lots of collisions with incoming comets and asteroids)
- Mars to explain its lack of an atmosphere (which it would have needed to maintain its surface oceans)
- Jupiter to explain missing planets closer to the Sun
- Saturn to explain its rings (perhaps a smashed moon, although the rings are 90% water, challenging that notion)
- Uranus to explain its tilt
- Uranus' moon Miranda to explain its bizarre terrain (lately some claim tidal pumping instead but this would require Miranda to have had a different orbit than that observed)
- Pluto to explain its smooth, youthful surface
- multiple collisions are invoked to explain why a few inner rocky planets are spinning so rapidly on their axes
- Asteroids, incorrectly called "minor planets", to explain the many peanutroids.
- etc. (see the great astronomy video by Spike Psarris exposing evolutionists invoking these collisions to explain the features of our eight planets and their moons)
* Consider the Planetary Catastrophists' Earth/Mars Flood Irony: Secularists deny that Earth could ever have had a global flood, even though our planet's continents are covered nearly a mile deep in sedimentary strata and the Earth is more than two-thirds covered in ocean water that averages 2.5 miles deep! Meanwhile, Mars is a global desert. Yet Nasa speaks of Mars' former Land of Noah (Noachis Terra) and its watery Noachian Epoch; when its fountains of the great deep "burst" forth onto the surface; with its proposed "global-scale", "catastrophic flood" or even "catastrophic floods that"¦ occurred "nearly simultaneously" which "merged into an ocean", "possibly global in extent." In 2015, NASA's Jim Green claimed that, "Two thirds of Mars' northern hemisphere was a huge ocean that may have been as much as a mile deep." So NASA (which is willfully ignorant of the evidence for the fountains of the great deep) thinks that ocean, which disappeared because "Something happened on Mars and it suffered a major climate change and lost its surface water", helps explain why the planet is still moist.
* Help Grow Our Planetary Catastrophe List: Our list of more than a dozen planetary catastrophes is not comprehensive. So if you know of another example, please consider sending it along to Bob@rsr.org. And creationists, please consider that Catastrophic Plate Tectonic (CPT) advocates (like those at AiG, ICR, and CMI) have a related problem (which is solved by Dr. Walt Brown's Hydroplate Theory of the fountains of the great deep) in explaining why bodies in the solar system, beginning with our own Moon, are so beat up; why the TNOs have the bizarre distribution they do; and why dangerous "flying bullet" meteoroids, asteroids, and comets exist. (See JPL's 2017 animation of asteroids and Earth's orbit.)
* Never-to-be-discovered devices needed to rescue old-earth origins models:
- The Oort Cloud, proposed in 1950 in hopes of explaining comets' short lifespans, does not exist
- The predicted Planet X, shepherd of TNOs (KBOs) beyond Pluto and way more massive than Earth, does not exist
- Dark matter, proposed in 1932 by the astronomer who proposed the Oort Cloud and later by others, does not exist
- Dark energy does not exist; inflatons do not exist; dark radiation does not exist. Instead, God exists.
* And Back to Pluto:
* Socks Blown Off: From RSR's List of Shocked Evolutionists, close-up photos show the youthful appearance of Pluto as do the images of its largest moon: "We originally thought Charon would be an ancient terrain covered in craters," said New Horizons team member Cathy Olkin. "So when we saw the pictures this morning, it just blew our socks off." :)
* Many unexpected transient events in our solar system: To see our complete list with links to sources, please check out our 2016 program, RSR's List of the Transient Events in the Solar System! If the solar system actually were 4.55 billion years old (that third significant digit is added by evolutionists as a psychological device to convince the public of a fictitious precision), by now it should have reached a stasis. Instead, scientists observe a great number of short-lived occurrences (transient phenomena) including:
- Mercury: rapid decline of its magnetic field
- Venus: recent volcanic eruptions and the apparent significant slowing of rotation
- Earth: rapid decline of magnetic field; inner core melting; black smokers; rapidly changing "ancient" geologic features
- Moon: rsr.org/moon#TLP cites unexpected heat, dust, molten outer core, volcanism, radon & helium emissions
- Mars: eruption of apparent water vapor plumes to 200 kilometers and outgassing of its moons Phobos and Deimos
- Jupiter: moon Europa erupting and Io giving off 10x more heat than tidal pumping can explain
- Saturn: rings are young and changing and Enceladus is erupting (hear RSR interview former JPL systems administrator)
- Comets: short-period comets (and the Oort cloud will never be found, because it does not exist)
- Asteroids: that outgas, that have six tails, the look like comets, etc., see phys.org, NASA, EarthSky, etc.
- TNOs: Trans-Neptunian Objects are thousands of years old because millions of years would have randomized their perihelions
- And please send any examples that you may come across to us at Bob@rsr.org.
* Transient Events in the Universe: Here is an exercise for the student. Do research to learn whether or not there are any transient events in the universe, that is, whether there are any universe-wide temporary phenomenon that we are observing right now! (Hint: Theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss may have an answer.)
* Help Us Reach a Small YouTube Milestone: RSR's newly attended to Bob Enyart YouTube channel is about to hit 75,000 views. Please click to check out a video, and we should hit that goal by Saturday, July 18th!
* Get a Great Astronomy Resource: Get RSR's Evidence Against the Big Bang video on Blu-ray, DVD, and as a download! You may also love Spike Psarris DVD What You Aren't Being Told About Astronomy and Vol. II, Our Created Stars and Galaxies! These are hands down the best astronomy videos ever made! You'll agree, or your money back! Also, purchasing them from us here at RSR will help us keep our radio show on the air reaching more and more people! And have you browsed through our Science Department in our KGOV Store? (That's what we call it.) Check out also Bob Enyart’s Age of the Earth Debate against a well-known geophysicist and a University of Colorado mathematician who are members of the Denver chapter of Reasons to Believe. And we ask you to consider getting a Bob Enyart Live monthly subscription, in audio or video, of one of our really fun and educational resources!
Finally, please consider helping us reach our vitally important July 2015 Telethon goal of $30,000! We're currently at $11,600, and you can help by clicking on the Store tab above, and then making a one-time or monthly donation, or signing up for a subscription or browsing our Science Department for some great science resources!
Trading Genesis (for Secular Theories)
Pepperdine University in California has long enjoyed a reputation as a leading conservative Christian institution. Today, however, Pepperdine’s faculty teaches theistic evolution. Though affiliated with the Church of Christ, the theistic evolution of the school’s science and theology professors is indistinguishable from the methodological naturalism of the atheist.
In 2015, the administration denied a request by some Pepperdine alumni to present a lecture on biblical creation. Not deterred, both longtime and recent graduates organized their own creation-evolution conference on the school’s campus and advertised it in the Malibu Times newspaper.
The organizers invited Bob Enyart, the host of Denver-based Real Science Radio, to speak at the event held concurrently with the school's heavily-attended Bible Lectureship series. Enyart demonstrated with seven examples that the atheistic materialist worldview does not even have a theory of origins for anyone to side with. And thus, Pepperdine University has traded away special creation (and many other biblical teachings, also listed in this presentation) for absolutely nothing.
See also Bob Enyart's debate with an acclaimed British author at rsr.org/theistic-evolution, more about this Pepperdine event at rsr.org/trading-genesis, and more fun science facts at rsr.org/young-earth.
* Earth's Rapidly Collapsing "Ancient" Geologic Features: In 2017, RSR broadcast our own list of rsr.org/earths-collapsing-ancient-features including that Bryce National Park's famous rock spire called the Sentinel has fallen.
* See All of Our Great RSR List Shows: We think you'll love them! (Or, if you hate them, they just might change your life.) Check them out at rsr.org/list-shows.