Today, Jo Scott and Leslie Hanks fill in for Bob as they invite you to the Colorado Right to Life film and strategy fundraiser.
* Martin Luther's Bad Theses: Excerpts from correspondence from a Christian leader's email to Bob...
October 31, 2017 marks the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther nailing his 95 theses to the door of the Wittenberg Castle church.
Some of his theses are outstanding and are rightfully celebrated. Some of his theses are atrocious, and rarely discussed. Examples of the latter include:
• That the pope can remit guilt/grant indulgences (#6, 39, 41, 42, 47, 49, 71)
• That the Roman Catholic priest is God’s representative (#7)
• That a Christian whose guilt is remitted will be humbly submissive to his priest (#7)
• That the Holy Spirit acts in the person of the pope to manifest grace to us (#9)
• That there is a purgatory (#10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23, 25, 26, 29,)
• That plenary remission of sins is only available to the nearly perfect (#23, 30)
• That the pope’s remission is NOT to be despised (#38)
• That papal indulgences should be preached (#41, etc.)
• That bishops must receive the commissaries of the papal indulgences with all reverence (#69)
• Those who deny the apostolic character of the indulgences should be anathematized (#71)
• That the pope should excommunicate anyone who messes with the trade in indulgences (#73)
• That even a papal indulgence can’t help those who have blasphemed the Mother of God (#75)
• It is blasphemy against Peter and the pope to deny that Peter could give even greater grace than the pope (#77)
• Peter and the pope have greater graces than do normal Christians (#78)