'Lost in Space' Preempts Debate and Predates Star Trek
Download: Dialup / Broadband Stream: Dialup / Broadband Comment: at TheologyOnline
* Star Trek Rips Off Lost in Space: Trekkie fanatics, obsessed with Star Trek, think that Gene Roddenberry introduced to the world many of our greatest technological advances. Theoretical physicist Lawrence Krauss (emphasis on the theoretical), even wrote a book (mis-titled though, just like his Universe from Nothing book), called The Physics of Star Trek. In reality though, all those great conceptual advances came not from Star Trek, but from Lost in Space! ("Warning, warning Will Robinson, there are Bible verses up ahead."). For as Solomon wrote: "There is no new thing under the sun…" or, beyond it for that matter. Lost in Space first aired on TV in 1965, a year before Star Trek, and prefigured much of the technology and culture of it's step-child spin off. Like these…
"Resistance is futile!" says an alien to the robot! (Wreck Of the Robot)
Transporter beam: (Prisoners of Space)
Ship's velocity: Can travel at near light speed
Weapons: Laser guns, i.e., “phasers”
Mechanical personality: Like androids on the ship, the robot is sentient, develops human emotions; experiments with humor, and like Data from The Next Generation, grows beyond his programming
Speech: Aliens always speak English except when episodic communication difficulties aids the plot
Replicator: An alien device, a "molecular replicator," can make whatever Dr. Smith wants (The Dream Monster)
Alien forms: Most aliens look humanoid while some look like reptiles
Force field: An invisible shield can protect the ship
War: Some alien civilizations have evolved beyond the use of war
Tractor beam: Invisible force that can tow an entire space ship or pull a ship even against it's own propulsion into a space dock
Ethics: This is the only general category where Star Trek truly broke new ground. On Lost in Space, Captain John Robinson and his family are relatively consistent with the application of justice (except for their unbiblical and relentless forgiving of Dr. Smith. On the other hand, Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, and the first-ever female star ship captain (who got lost on her very first episode, didn't like asking for directions, and took seven full seasons to find her way back), have a “Prime Directive” which they seem to violate on almost every episode. The Federation has itself evolved beyond warfare and the use of force yet every ship is equipped with weapons of mass destruction, the inventory of which must be frequently filled. (Picard himself personally killed more than three-dozen "people," not counting the annihilation of entire crews on ships blown to bits by the Enterprise.)
* Reason #165: to Get Your Kids Out of the Government Schools! The Southern Poverty Law Center, (a well-known front group for leftists and homosexual advocates) is sponsoring what they call a “mix it up” day at a government school near you. They say it’s about “breaking social barriers”, but the American Family Association reveals it’s about promoting homosexuality. Pro-Family organizations are encouraging you to keep your kids home from school on that day, (Oct. 30 2012). Bob and Doug encourage you to keep your kids out of government schools… Period. Starting today!
* It Runs in the Family: While Chelsea Clinton is engaged in the noble cause of fighting diarrhea in Nigeria, this does not obscure, (for us anyway) her support for abortion. But the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree… her mom and dad have spent a lifetime advocating the intentional killing of children.
* This Debate Excerpt Says It All: The debates are essentially mindless gibberish, as this YouTube excerpt makes plainly clear...
* Trying to Stay on the Air: We're at $13,400 of our $30,000 goal to help keep Bob Enyart Live and Real Science Radio on the radio for another year! Please click here to help!
Today's Resource: For our BEL Telethon, please consider one of our monthly subscriptions that will not only help support BEL, but they also promote better understanding of the Bible and will equip you to be a better witness to those around you.
Monthly Sermons: Enjoy all of Bob's sermons from the month on Sermon Video DVDs, great also to watch with the family. Or, get these on Sermon Audio CDs which are standard audio Compact Discs that will play on any CD player including the one in your car. Or get them on a single Sermon MP3-CD which will play on an MP3 player, in a DVD player, or in your computer.
Monthly Bible Studies: Enjoy the Scriptures with Bob's Monthly Bible Study DVDs, great too for a small group Bible study. Or get these teachings on a single Monthly Bible Study Audio MP3- CDwhich will play on an MP3 player, in a DVD player, or in your computer.
Monthly Topical Videos: Coming to your mailbox, you'll get a Monthly Topical DVD to enjoy one of Bob's great videos specially selected to be entertaining and to teach about life from a biblical worldview.
Monthly Best of Bob Shows: Every month our crew selects the eight best BEL shows of the month and for the folks who might have missed some of them, we mail them out on the Best of Bob MP3-CD.
Monthly BEL TV Classics: Enjoy Bob Enyart's timeless, popular TV show delivered to your home on the Monthly BEL TV Classics DVDs with great audio and video clarity thanks to our state-of-the-art mastering from the studio-quality Sony beta tapes to DVD!
Monthly Donation: For folks who just want to make sure that Bob Enyart Live stays on the air, please consider making a pledge in the form of a Monthly Donation.
* Free Gift: When you sign up for any monthly subscription or give a one time donation of $50 or more, we will send you Bob's brand new DVD of his classic teaching series: The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil.
* Baby Shower for a Rescued Child: Post-show good news update with mom Beatrice, rescuer Jo Scott, and the inimitable Chet Gallagher behind the camera interviewing the gals!
Monthly Sermon MP3-CDs
Monthly Sermon CDs
Monthly Sermon Videos
Monthly Bible Study Audios
Monthly Bible Study Videos
Monthly Topical Videos
Monthly TV Classics
Monthly Best of Bob
Bible Studies MP3
Bible Studies DVD
BEL Video Library