Original: Miller on BEL
Download: Dialup / Broadband Stream: Dialup / Broadband Comment: at TheologyOnline
[The re-airing of this interview, with Newsweek's Lisa Miller on her cover story on homosexual marriage, on Dec. 24th skips unrelated news stories from the opening to the debate more quickly. In this original, Lisa appears 20 minutes in...]
* George Bush Admits Abandoning His Principles: Before interviewing Newsweeks' Lisa Miller on her cover story on homosexual marriage, Bob aired CNN audio of George W. Bush saying, "I've abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system."
* Miller Advocates Homosexual Marriage: as expected, but why did Lisa Miller resist answering Bob's question about homosexuality itself? This Newsweek writer's obvious careful preparation for her article and the routine fact-checking of the magazine's editors did not prevent them from publishing this falsehood in Miller's Dec. 15, 2008 article, Our Mutual Joy: "nowhere in the Bible do its authors refer to sex between women." The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 1:26-27 of the vile passion of women with women, likewise of men with men who leave the natural use of the woman and burn in their lust for one another. Lisa knew from her careful analysis of four sentences, Romans 1:26-32, that Scripture condemned not only male homosexuality but also lesbianism. (This kind of error is similar to Colin Powell's intentional misreport to the United Nations on Iraq's use of aluminum tubes for WMD.) But revealing her bias to misrepresent Scripture, Ms. Miller included the incorrect information, defending herself when challenged by Bob Enyart by passing the buck and saying that's what the Anchor Bible Dictionary says: "nowhere in the Bible do its authors refer to sex between women." Bob pointed out that hundreds of authors (800) contributed to the Anchor Dictionary's thousands of entries (6,000) and this fact was thereby overlooked, but shouldn't have been by Lisa Miller who hopefully will correct this error given the opportunity in the future.
* Miller on Homosexuals in a Boys Locker Room: As Bob has pointed out for 17 years on air, the only time the media mentions Ozzie and Harriet is to mock them or be dismissive, as Newsweek is, of the scriptural model of mom, dad, and kids. And Bob asked Lisa Miller, "Why don't we allow male high school teachers, men, in the girls' volleyball team locker room? Lisa refused to answer this question. Why wouldn't she answer? Accepting homosexuality destroys the morals of society, by draining the cup of lust to its dregs. The only answer to this locker room question is, not because we presume every man to be a child molester but, we don't allow men in the girls locker room because males are attracted to females. Period. Widespread homosexuality robs human beings of being able to enjoy social environments, including spas and health clubs, free from sexual tension. It is wrong to have sailors on a submarine live with another man who is sexually attracted to his bunkmates.
* Miller on whether Gender is Nature or Nurture: Bob asked Lisa Miller about the gender of children, boys and girls, whether they act like boys and girls by nature, or whether as so many homosexual advocates claim, that children are virtual blank slates that society conditions with male and female characteristics. Why wouldn't Lisa Miller answer this question? Consider the untenable claim of those who reject scriptural morality: homosexuals are born that way, but gender is instilled. Whaa? Yes, countless liberals will argue that being a boy or a girl is not something a child is born with, but homosexuality is. Right.
* Lisa Miller Didn't Know About NT Monogamy: Bob asked Lisa if, in preparation for her article, if she came across the New Testament standard against polygamy, and for monogamy? Bob acknowledged that the Old Testament is replete with examples of God's people, and even heroes of the faith, practicing polygamy. (The past week the LA Times did a story about the Mormon polygamist whom Bob Enyart debated six years ago, Leland Freeborn, and to this day many Bible students will listen to the debate to understand the scriptural basis for Christianity's modern prohibition of polygamy.) The New Testament presents the standard of monogamy. Paul's epistles (letters) to Titus and Timothy list qualifications for leaders including being "the husband of one wife," and not violent, not greedy, not a drunkard, etc. (1 Tim. 3:2-3; Titus 1:6-7). Bob shared with Lisa that there is ONLY ONE standard of goodness (as opposed to an elitist or legalistic concept of one standard of righteousness for ministers, and another standard for dads, and another for leaders, and for businessmen, etc.). NO ONE should be a murderer, or greedy, or a drunkard, or married to two women, etc. but all married men should be "the husband of one wife." And indeed there is no example of a polygamous New Testament believer. And Bob presented to Lisa another standard of monogamy from Jesus Christ Himself stating at Matthew 19:4, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife...'" For more information listen for free to Bob's debate with well-known polygamist Leland Freeborn or purchase Bob's CD on 1st Timothy: Paul on Wine, Women, and such (which comes with a money-back guarantee as do all our books and resources)!
* Paul was Tough on Homosexuality But...: After her accurate statement, "Paul was tough on homosexuality," Lisa Miller's bias led her to report this contorted quote from Neil Elliott who said, "Paul is not talking about homosexuality at all. He's talking about a certain group of people who have done everything in this list." In Romans chapter one Paul describes the perversion of homosexuality and a verse later lists the sins of envy, murder, boasting, etc. So this alleged scholar must think that Paul would not condemn murder as long it's not accompanied by boasting? Paul only chastises those who commit all twenty two sins he listed, so this passage would not rebuke a homosexual murderer like Jeffrey Dahmer as long as he was not a "whisperer."
* Miller said the Real Objection is Homosexuality Itself: Bob Enyart and Lisa Miller agreed that the real problem that evangelical Christians have with this controversy is not homosexual marriage per se, but homosexuality itself. Amen Lisa! Ms. Miller pointed out that the Bible commands governments to execute homosexuals and Bob added that when America was young homosexuality in places was a capital crime as in Virginia when Thomas Jefferson was governor; yet it was not back then that homosexuals died by the countless thousands, but now, after western nations have decriminalized homosexuality, that men have died tortured deaths by the hundreds of thousands, and by the millions around the world, because as Jesus said quoting Moses from Genesis, God " made them male and female." If you love your neighbor, you will warn him not to mainline drugs, not to be a thief, and not to engage in homosexual behavior. Meanwhile, Bob and Lisa also agreed that there is a growing acceptance of homosexuality among young Christians (but of course right and wrong is not determined, thank God, by majority opinion). Bob pointed out that Christian leaders like Dr. James Dobson have been backsliding into moral relativism.
Years ago, Christian leaders:
- supported laws that criminalized all sex outside of marriage
- then they accepted the decriminalization of pornography (as free speech)
- then they accepted the decriminalization of fornication (shacking up, etc.)
- then they accepted the decriminalization of adultery (with another man's wife)
- then they accepted the decriminalization of homosexuality
(just a few short years ago in Lawrence v. Texas, Focus on the Family as with many Christian organizations, lobbied that homosexual behavior should be criminal, yet they are now opposed to the re-criminalization of homosexuality and have therefore sided with Hollywood, Hillary, humanists and the homosexuals themselves against Jesus, Moses, Paul and 3,500 years of Judeao-Christian legal principle)
- then they accepted homosexual adoption of children
- then George Bush and countless other false conservatives advocated civil unions
- then John McCain voted against the Federal marriage amendment (as did Barack Obama)
- and now as regards legislation they only oppose homosexual marriage. That's it.
Continuing with this moral relativism, we at Bob Enyart Live expect that soon, Christian leaders will compromise also on "gay marriage" and will hold out only with opposition to homosexual dental care!
(For documentation of this, see BEL's groundbreaking DVD Focus on the Strategy!)
* Regarding Newsweek's mocking of the Bible for its regulation of slavery, did you know that Amendment XIII of the U.S. Constitution does not outlaw slavery? It only prohibits unjust slavery. "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States..."
* Have you seen Bob's Evolution Debate: Bob is debating a trained evolutionist about an article on Entropy and Evolution from the American Journal of Physics, and the author of that article, Daniel F. Styer, has joined the debate! This is fun!!
* BEL Indiana Seminars: Bob Enyart is coming to Indiana, Goshen in the evening of Jan. 29th and Indianapolis on Saturday January 31st, to present a brand new BEL Seminar titled Hermeneutics: Tools for Studying the Bible. Learn how to use tools of interpretation as you study the Bible. And as importantly, Bob will discuss the principles involved for prioritizing these hermeneutics and how to decide which tool to use in which instance. You'll love it! Click for more info and to register please call 1-800-8Enyart!
Today's Resources: Watch Terry's Call on DVD as Bob quickly unravels Terry's red herring claim, that homosexuals are living godly lives. In a series of heart touching phone calls, Terry is lead to the Lord and repentance, shortly before his death from AIDS. (And notice the meaning of all the graphic elements in the artwork on the label of the DVD!)