Personhood Bill Introduced in US Senate
Download: Dialup / Broadband Stream: Dialup / Broadband Comment: at TheologyOnline
* American RTL Commends U.S. Senate Heroes: The 2008 Life at Conception Act introduced on June 11, 2003 by a record 11 U.S. Senators, Senate Bill 3111 defines person as "each and every member of the species homo sapiens at all stages of life, including, but not limited to, the moment of fertilization, cloning, and other moment at which an individual member of the human species comes into being." American RTL president Brian Rohrbough commends the eleven sponsors of this bill, and asks Christians to pray for the courage and wisdom to use the uncompromising legal efforts in Colorado and Washington D.C. as teaching tools to instruct the public and politicians about the God-given right to life of the unborn!
Since supposedly pro-life U.S. Senate Candidate republican Bob Schaffer will not endorse Colorado's Personhood Amendment 48, there is no reason to believe he would vote pro-life if elected to the U.S. Senate. Thus Bob Enyart Live is urging Christians to support only candidates who are willing to put it on the line (their careers, their reputations) to boldly advocate the right to life of innocent children. Anti-slavery candidates in the 1800s who didn't want to campaign against slavery because it might hurt their campaigns were cowards and not leaders. And such double-minded men end up in the dustbin of history, as Colorado RTL has warned the Colorado GOP, in what they're calling Round 2 of 7 in their expose of the states' liberal Republicans Schaffer and chairman Dick Wadhams.
Meanwhile, pro-lifers have opened up the second front in the war to protect unborn children, with personhood efforts in Congress in the U.S. Capitol and on the ballot in Colorado! Praise God!
* Colorado RTL Reply to Dr. Irving
"Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend"
Dr. Dianne N. Irving, a bioethicist and professor at Georgetown University, has criticized the personhood amendment, which CRTL supports, which appears on Colorado's November 2008 ballot. Dr. Irving's moral and scientific arguments are not only valid, they are foundational to the long-term success of the personhood movement. Colorado RTL will join Dr. Irving in educating pro-lifers, the public and politicians about the sexual and asexual origins of human life that must be recognized in law for it to protect all persons. Dr. Irving's criticism illustrates Solomon's words, "Faithful are the wounds of a friend" (Proverbs 27:6).
Dr. Irving rightly explains that defining human life as beginning at "the moment of fertilization" includes only those people who came into existence at the union of a sperm and oocyte (ovum). However, scientists and fertility clinicians bring many human beings into existence through asexual reproduction quite apart from the merging of a sperm and ovum. Scientists "split" the youngest embryonic children, breaking off cells, to cause twinning that brings a second child into existence, and fertility clinics will then destroy any unneeded embryos. Dr. Irving has cataloged many asexual methods of human reproduction including splitting embryos and cloning, methods which produce living human beings which the personhood movement must protect by love and by law.
Dr. Irving criticizes Colorado's Amendment 48 because it addresses sexual but not asexual reproduction. CRTL concurs and recommends that the personhood movement nationwide accept Dr. Irving's moral and scientific conclusions and adopt fully protective legal wording to the effect of: "defining 'person' as any human life from the moment of sexual or asexual reproduction, including from fertilization."
CRTL disagrees with Dr. Irving only in her characterization that our initiative wording provides an "exclusionary clause... denying human personhood to all categories of asexually reproduced human beings." Rather, Colorado's personhood Amendment 48 uses the word "include," that the term "person... shall include any human being from the moment of fertilization." This definition would not exclude cloned or in vitro twinned children. Other than this legal disagreement, CRTL thanks Dr. Irving for her courage and insight, and asks the personhood movement to adopt her biological, moral, and legal argument.
* PP Closing Independent Clinics: The Wall Street Journal's front page article yesterday celebrated the nation's primary child-killing firm. Meanwhile, a "maturing" abortion industry and Planned Parenthood's marketing and expansions are far more responsible for closing down independent abortion clinics than are the laws that end with, "and then you can kill the baby." As evidence, Planned Parenthood's revenue from killing dismembering unborn children has steadily increased over the years, as has the number of surgical abortions they perform annually. For more information, please see AndThenYouCanKillTheBaby.com.
* Please Send Seven Sheets to ARTL: Please help American RTL welcome the DNC to Denver this summer! They need 100 people to send them seven sheets each for a top secret project called the Sheets of Shame! Can you send any sheets? If you can't send seven, can you send one or two? Can you go to a second hand store? Can you call a hotel, hospital, nursing home, motel, jail, or ask some friends? To do a proper greeting, here's what...
ARTL's DNC Welcoming Committee needs:
- What: Sheets and more sheets
- Quantity: 700 sheets
- Color: white or light colored
- Style: flat, preferably; but fitted sheets ok
- Size: queen, preferably; but others ok, especially king
- Info: Office@AmericanRTL.org or 1-888-888-ARTL
Please bring or mail your sheets to:
1535 Grant St #303
Denver CO 80203
* Please Help Bob with a Personhood Project: If you can, please volunteer to help Bob on one of these projects:
- Team131: if you're able to spend at least five hours at your PC helping with a vital online project!
- Travel: if you can travel outside the state in July or August for a few days and cover your own expenses, Bob will be traveling on very important out-of-state missions in support of Colorado's personhood amendment effort! Would you like to go? If so, please let ARTL know at 1-888-888-ARTL!
- Metro Team: if you're able to come out occasionally for an important project in the Denver area, please let Donna at CRTL know!
* Drive Denver's Truth Truck: Colorado Right To Life's Truth Truck coordinator, Vick Lopez, called into BEL to ask if you (yes, you!) can volunteer to drive. Please call CRTL at 303 753-9394 if you think you can drive their standard transmission Truth Truck on a two-hour route once every week or two!
Today's Resource: Have you heard about our new Bible Study of the entire Book of Judges, that presents the biblical teaching on treaties, the judiciary, and the best form of government, coming out soon on CD? Call to order Judges at 1-800-8Enyart and check out our many Bible Study resources!